Friday, January 28, 2011

Azuma Sushi & Robata Grill

2 out of 5 Stars

Website
5600 Kirby Dr
Houston, TX 77005
(713) 432-9649


In a city filled with ridiculously delicious sushi spots, it amazes me how a chain like Azuma can survive. I've frequented Azuma for years at their Kirby, Downtown, and Soma (Heights) location and leave underwhelmed every time.

My last experience at the Kirby location was no better, and it all started with the greeting.

WHERE'S MY FREAKING "Dou itashimashite!!!"?????

I'm not trying to be picky nor stereotypical here, but this is what my pal and I got instead.

"Hi! We are here for happy hour!!"

In the hostesses' best "Mean Girls" voice: "We don't have happy hour."

****I don't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth****

"But....but... Downtown Azuma does?????" imagine protruding puppy dog eyes...fully  aware that we are not going to get what we came for.

"But we don't."

"Alright, well there will be six of us coming".

"Do you have a reservation?"

I look around the half empty restaurant thinking....are you for real, lady?

Eventually she seated us like she was doing us a favor...

Bloop! Bloop!

I proceeded to order edamame, spicy tuna and their famous Crazy Irishman roll accompanied by a necessary Kettle One Martini (after our sordid welcome).

Per usual, the chefs at Azuma assume that because we are near Mexico, it makes sense to over spice the salmon to the point where all you taste is Tabasco. Even worse, they cheat with that red pepper powder (you know, to cover up the salmon even more). Total Fail.

Then there was the Crazy Irishman. I've tried to understand the love affair with this roll, but to me, it defeats the point of sushi. I'm not saying I'm a sushi purist; you can add a little crunch to my roll (if you know what I mean).....

......but Azuma flash fries this roll in a way that the raw fish we are trying to enjoy has now become the texture of chicken. Meanwhile the crunch is comparable to the texture of stale funyuns. Need I say more?

The only saving grace to my latest meal was our sweet server who charmed us with jokes, remembered our names and left us with a special red envelope promising us of free food, so long as we return with it still sealed.

Whatever, it takes to keep us coming back, I guess....

I for one, am not interested. I'll leave my Japanese dining to the pros at Sushi King, Toyama and Miyako-thank you very much. At least they have happy hour, fun greetings and most importantly, GREAT SUSHI.

No comments:

Post a Comment